Blog Cabin 2014: Upcycled Kitchen and Bathroom Lighting

Writing to you again from Winter Haven, where we have been dealing with some weather. Yes, there’s been some rain, but not enough to damper the Blog Cabin parade. We’ve been hard at work creating a fantastic and unique lakeside bungalow, with your help, of course.

Blog Cabin Light Fixtures Laurie March

Photo: DIYNetwork.com, courtesy Flea Market Flip

For those of you following the voting results, you’ve chosen a pot rack as opposed to an upcycled chandelier in the kitchen, opting to include an upcycled pendant fixture in the master bathroom instead. So I’ve been having fun exploring some shining examples of this new trend – repurposing both ordinary and extraordinary objects into gorgeous chandeliers. Take a look at some of the stunners I found.

Bean There, Done That

Blog Cabin Lighting Fixtures Laurie March Blog

Photo: UpcycleThat.com

Innovation meets nostalgia. Dutch designer Willem Heeffer created this amazing light fixture – fashioned from vintage bean cans. The best part about upcycling is that you’re able to reuse the items that you feel personally connected to and want to look at every day. This charmer is sure to make the child inside the chef smile every morning.

Reading Lamp

Blog Cabin Laurie March Lighting Fxtures Blog

Photo: DIYNetwork.com

For all of you literary types, a light like this might be just for you. Fashioned out of pages of a book and binder clips, this project would allow you to read by the glow of your favorite quotes and passages all the time. Wouldn’t it be great in a library?

Basket Case

Blog Cabin Lighting Fixtures Laurie March Blog

Photo: HGTVRemodels, courtesy Walter Yarosh

This old factory basket has followed the light into a beautiful afterlife. Without stealing any attention from those gorgeous ceilings, this exceptional chandelier creates huge visual interest. And you’re probably not going to have to worry about guests exclaiming, “Hey, I have that same light at home…”

Keep It Fresh

Blog Cabin Lighting Fixtures Laurie March Blog

Photo: Etsy.com, courtesy BootsNGus

I know, I know – you picked the pot rack. But I couldn’t help myself from checking out some clever kitchen upcycles. I would much rather use this container as a darling light fixture than make a Jell-O mold, who’s with me?  And if you don’t have the time or the patience for a DIY project at the moment, take a look at Boots N Gus’ Etsy store to find some truly gorgeous upcycles, made in Ann Arbor, MI.

Man, I could geek out over this stuff for hours! But for now…

Laurie and Dylan Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014

@HGTVcounselor Instagram

Back to work, Eastman and March!!! Be sure to vote here on the latest 2014 Blog Cabin features and finishings!

1. DBCoop says:

Not sure I can personally connect to the Heinz variety of "can" lighting, but I do find a good light to read by always comes in handy.

• Laurie_March says:

Yeah, the Heinz is surely a stretch – but I'm with you. If there's a book to be found – I'm surely ready to read!

2. Denise_D_ says:

I placed a lighting blog, after I said Hi to you and the Window World crew. It was to make a chandelier out of the door knob. Maybe you read it already

• Laurie_March says:

Hey! So happy to see you here. It's fun to pop back and forth among all the blogs, no?

Thanks for coming over to my blog. I hope you'll come back again and read more posts!

3. bogartandbacall says:

Not the kind of decoration I care for. but they new interesting and different. maybe they would look ok in the right place and the tigerlily one I did like and would find a place for. the things people can come up with. makes me think of 70's and my mother probably would ground me using her kitchen wares. if she only knew. looking at this stuff made me think of Dylan's project. any hints?

• Laurie_March says:

When it's fleamarket Sunday, literally nothing can keep me from vintage dishware. Mixing bowls, juice pitchers, Jadeite plates and bowls… I'm a sucker! But I love that light fixture with the bowl… pretty unique, no?

Dylan has all sorts of secrets up his sleeves, as usual. I'll try to pry out whatever I can for you!

4. KMH says:

I guess it depends on the area you need to light. Are we using the light for a focal point or actual lighting? Do we need diffused, direct, indirect, an art piece, or for safety (down-lighting). Certainly do not miss the Heinz green pickle cans! We'll suggest them for the craw space under the house.

• Laurie_March says:

KMH – You know your lighting!

I love to mix them all – task, mood, and overall room lighting – to make the perfect places to live in.

Wonder if the gators would appreciate the Heinz can fixture? ;) If not them, surely the flamingos…

5. Nan says:

That was such fun to see all of these. Laughed out loud ! Really enjoyed this posting. All thanks to bloggers for leading me here. Thank you Laurie. I am sitting here with a smile on my face. Wish you a wonderful evening.
    Nan

• Laurie_March says:

Nan –

Now YOU are making ME smile! Thanks for checking it out here – I hope you'll come romp around in our blog posts again soon. We've got a new post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

6. Nan says:

sorry. A big Thank you DBCoop ! Some of you bloggers sure know how and where to find the best things. I loved this one and am stilling smiling. my very best to you, Nan

7. Lia_M says:

Love that Jello mold lamp!!

8. Jennifer Smith says:

All wonderful ideas. but the bean cans went a bit to far. I had hoped for a light in the kitchen instead of the pot rack, but hey we take what we can get.

9. Antionette says:

I like some of them not too into the cans or paper lamps. Love the canning jars. I also like them when they are done with one wire for each jar and have several wires and gathered together. It also would look great with old ocean buoy's with the different colors of glass. I just love old thing made new!

• Laurie_March says:

Sea glass would be a gorgeous thing to shine light through! I'm with you – I love old pieces with new lives..

Thanks for coming by!

10. TwoCorgis says:

Well, I didn't choose the pot rack – I think they look messy. I was laughing at the bean cans. They might actually be appropriate in the bathroom on certain occasions. Not for me, of course, but I've heard that SOME people might find them appropriate. ;-)

11. @KayBabyyxo says:

I could not say YES any louder if I had a microphone.

12. Sheri McNamara says:

All that lighting really shows your creativity! I particularly loved the ball jars lighting. Just too cute. I really have no place to make these things where I live now since it's too small and I rent here. HOWEVER, when I win this blog cabin I certainly will have the space and the drive to get crafty! Of course the first few months I intend to walk from the road to the lake and every space in between, so I can admire all the hard work that makes that wonderful blog cabin what it is, and that is the amazing 2014 Blog Cabin. You all are amazing at what you do!!! Love to you all.

• Laurie_March says:

I certainly hope a blogger wins! Why NOT you???

• Sheri McNamara says:

Thanks Laurie for the encouragement. Why not me? Couldn't think of one reason that I shouldn't or couldn't win. Yes , I am going for the win. I love the property and the home. The whole area of Winter Haven seems marvelous, just the place for me and my husband to retire and enjoy our time together.We love gardening, veggies and flowers alike. A row boat and some oars and we are set. We now only live two hours away so kids , their kids and friends a like could visit anytime.What more does a person need or want??? Very little else in my book. Oh my I'm babbling again. I'll say good night to all and be well.

13. mary f miller says:

I have done table lamps from many things, my favorite was from wooden feet from discarded sofas — I can be seen pullin off the road to remove sofa feet — get the strangest looks. I did not vote for pot racks.

14. Bean there, done that is one of the most creative lamps i seen for a while. Great idea! It can be perfect for commercial restaurants.

Harry
    Novel Remodeling

15. CheleRS3 says:

The first one is by far my favorite. Once again, great job Laurie. You are really making this fun for us all.

16. Deneen says:

I vote that the 2014 Blog Cabin from the 1920's Dundee home is the VERY BEST that I have seen and I have been following HGTV for many years. The design and re-creation of the home is beautiful. And in my most honest opinion the color schemes and décor are the most INSPIRATIONAL that I have seen in ALL of the HGTV Homes. As you go through each room in the video, the history in each room displays what the USA is all about. It can be felt in the heart with warmth and love. THUMBS UP TEAM, YOU OUT DID YOURSELF !
    deneenk@aol.com