New Countertops for the Holidays

Kitchen CountertopsPhoto: HGTVRemodels.com

Can you hear it in the distance – the happy, chaotic sound of the holidays approaching? I couldn’t be happier to share with you the stunning HGTV Holiday House 2013.

This year’s holiday home features a gorgeous Carrara marble countertop. New countertops can completely change the look for your kitchen, and it’s a perfect project to complete just before guests arrive for Thanksgiving, Hannukah and Christmas. While beautiful marble, quartz and granite countertops are wildly popular, there are some other options that might better suit your needs. Here are three alternate options to consider if you’re thinking of giving your kitchen a little gift this holiday season.

Soapstone

Kitchen CountertopsPhoto: HGTVRemodels.com

This natural stone can be an excellent choice for those homeowners who don’t want to worry about their countertops. Once sealed with mineral oil, this extremely hard material can take anything your throw at it or on it. It’s heat resistant, stain resistant and makes a great surface to knead dough, if you’re into baking. If you love organic materials, this is the counter for you. But, like the popular granite, no two soapstone blocks are the same. You want to be sure to buy all of your materials at the same time in order to keep the look consistent.

data-gallery-title="Soapstone Kitchen Countertops"

data-gallery-length="4">

Butcher Block

Kitchen CountertopsPhoto: HGTVRemodels.com

If you prefer a warmer, cozy kitchen or if you have an older home, a butcher block countertop might be ideal for you. These gorgeous surfaces are comprised of strips of hardwood  glued together to make one solid block. Just like hardwood floors, these counters are available in many different colors and types of wood, but maple is the most common. Although they are perfect for cutting and chopping, they require a little elbow grease. Most butcher block counters need to be sanitized and treated with mineral oil on a regular basis.

data-gallery-title="Wood and Butcher Block Kitchen Countertops"

data-gallery-length="5">

Stainless

Kitchen Countertops

Photo: HGTV.com

Stainless steel countertops can give your kitchen an industrial, modern look at a fairly affordable cost. And for the OCD chefs among us, they can be kept clean very easily. Be careful because they can show scratches. Even better, they can be installed without seams – so you’ll never be scrubbing little cracks, trying to get the crumbs out. If you’ve already invested in professional grade, stainless steel appliances, these countertops might be the perfect finish for your modern space.

data-gallery-title="Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops" data-gallery-length="4">

So there’s my argument in favor of these sometimes unsung and always hardworking materials. Any “counter” points?

1. Leigh Terry says:

These are all fantastic countertops that can provide the kitchen an excellent look. For practicality though, I think stainless steel countertops are the best because they are cheaper but they will never go out of style.

2. DBCoop says:

Dear Santa,
    It's time for a new look, so please add some awesome kitchen countertops to my wish list. And a cool new backsplash to go with it. While you're taking notes, might as well add new kitchen cabinetry as well.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I've been very good this year and I'm sure you're up to the challenge.

PS: If you need any help picking out just the right combination of style, color and materials, check with House Counselor Laurie March. She'll know exactly what to leave under the tree to transform my kitchen for the holidays.

Oh — and the "milk" (or something a little stronger!) and cookies will be on the breakfast bar as usual….

Happy Holidays,
    D B Coop

3. Sheri McNamara says:

Laurie– I have been looking at various counter tops since my daughter started working on her kitchen and I think the one I really like is the soapstone. There is not much to do to maintain the look. I'm over granite However, quartz has some amazing color to it. I can adapt to any counter top, but soapstone is beautiful! It's nice "talking"to you' Best wishes, Sheri

• Laurie_March says:

Sheri –

I love Soapstone! It can be hard to get ahold of… just depends on geography.

There are so many quartz products now that provide an incredible range of color and options. What do you think she'll end up with?

Nice talking to you too!

4. Barbara Katz says:

I love the "brown" soapstone. WHere would I get it? I am in Charlotte NC.

• Laurie_March says:

Barbara –

I did a quick google search and turned up several resources for your area. Try searching 'soapstone countertop North Carolina' and you'll find some great places to start your search!

Let me know how it goes.

5. Vicki says:

I LOVE the soapstone counter top

6. Cheryl B says:

What are your thoughts on concrete? :) Curious minds want to know! Thanks!

7. janet says:

i wish for Christmas would be to have a complete kitchen and bathroom make over. you hear that santa. ive been good all year

8. tina mills says:

i have a 1932 kitchen. it look like it too. i have three layers of flooring. it need soooooo much help please help.