Blog Cabin Survives Storm Andrea

I spent the last week in Atlantic, North Carolina on the site of Blog Cabin 2013  and boy was it a doozy!  The cabin is finished and project manager Dylan is on site keeping the magic going until the keys get handed over to a very special someone.  My very favorite spot in the house is sitting on the front porch, rocking and sipping a coffee, staring out at the wavy water.

While I describe the week, I’ll share some of my favorite sneak peeks at the textures in Blog Cabin

Blog Cabin
Blog Cabin

Blog Cabin

Blog Cabin

blog Cabin

Blog Cabin

In the meantime, we ran into a troublesome lady named Andrea the tropical storm.  While we were shooting some fabulous videos for you to see behind the scenes of the finished rooms and features, the winds were coming up.  The skies were getting grayer, and the clouds were looking a little ominous.

We raced around, tucked away all the treasures and pillows, flipped over the chairs and tables for safety, and got ready for Andrea to hit  It rained and howled, and boy did the winds blow.

The house and property weathered the storm just fine.  The water level did not rise, even though there were some uncharacteristic white caps on the Sound. The double-paned windows kept us from feeling or hearing the wind, even though we had a front row seat for the drama.

We lost power once but Dylan and crew had installed a generator that snapped right on and we got right back to making videos, which you’ll see soon.

Blog Cabin

What would you do first if you won Blog Cabin this year?  Your shoes would be on this very door mat after a magic walk on the beach.

blog cabin
All photos courtesy Laurie March. Laurie is on Instagram

1. zulumom says:

Loved the sneak peeks of textures and colors. Cannot wait to see more

2. Jennie/Florida says:

Hi Laurie, great pics and love the colors..Nice rug in the living room and like the color combination..I also like the little fellows to the left in the living room/entry way. Everything looks so pristine and lovely…

The first thing I would do if I were the lucky Winner, I would take a walk around the Cottage and look at all the beautiful flowers and landscaping, then take a walk down to the Dock and take in the beautiful Views of the Sound..
    By any chance can you tell us if there are Screens on the windows and doors?? I didn't see any!

Thank you for sharing Your thoughts with us!

3. Laurie_March says:

Thanks guys and gals! Wish you were all here… we could have some tea and walk down to the dock!

Jennie – there are screens, but they're not on yet so the cameras can capture the stunning view best!

4. Windsmurf says:

Thank you for the sneak peek at some of the interesting textures and contrasts inside the cabin. I love the cool subdued colors. Please while you are there, have an early morning coffee on the porch, relax under the pergola in the afternoon sunshine, and have dinner under the covered outdoor kitchen area, and then top it all off with a nice glass of wine while you toast your tootsies at the fire pit. I'll be right there with you in mind if not in body. I would like to know how all of the new landscaping is holding up, is anyone there to water when it is needed?

5. Windsmurf says:

Oh, and what I would do first…walk through the entire house, go down to the dock and walk on the sand, and then go back to the beautiful outdoor structures and sit and soak in the beauty.

6. Lia_M says:

Thanks for sharing the images! I'd be happy to keep an eye on the cabin if you or Dylan want to take a vacation! :)

7. Laurie_March says:

You guys are the best!! Thank you each and every one for sharing your love for the cabin with me :)

xx

8. grammagail says:

Laurie, this is just the recharge we needed! What great peeks! Love the colors so far and can't wait for the whole reveal!

9. DBCoop says:

THERE I WOULD STAY

Happy as a clam at high tide's the way
    I'd savor each hour of each passing day

Walk on the beach, collect shells by the shore
    Then wander each room — there's so much to explore

Sit on the dock, on the front porch I'll swing
    Just sip on my tea and feel like a king

Those rainy days spent all cozy and warm
    The Blog Cabin's where I'm safe from the storm

When the sun sets I'd look up to the sky
    Counting the stars– I'm the luckiest guy

At the end of the day, tucked in for the night
    I'll rest peaceful and calm 'til morning's new light

Dreams do come true with a homestead so fine
    If only it were to treasure as mine

All I would want is the key to the door
    And there I would stay and ask for no more!

• Maria says:

Wow!!! I loved that….that was really awesome poetry for the Blog Cabin…Cannot wait for the winner & reveal…looking really nice….Good to know the Cabin can withstand storms as well…We miss the Cabin Cam!!

10. Peggy says:

I find that just going to your HGTV web sites and watching all off the wonderful things you've done, but still respected the history and the culture so pleasurable and exciting to see that it just leaves me with such a wonderful warm heartedness that even makes me dream of such happiness and joy. It's just amazing.

11. Mel says:

Beautiful pics Laurie, thank you for sharing! I like the thumbs up / no thumbs down of your blog.

Soft, warm wood textures, perfect bare footsie flooring in the master bath with radiant heat during the winters at BC. Bare feet will rejoice again with the no nails, no splintering, just as inviting as carpet comfort and beauty of the Trex flooring for the porch.
    Reclaimed wood, with a texture full of character from the original home used for wall cladding or special projects.
    Colors of the ocean & sand.
    Decor that is beachy keen, relaxing and comfortable…lovin' the peek inside.

• Laurie_March says:

Mel –

Sorry for the delayed response… been traveling. I also believe in 'thumbs up/no thumbs down' on my blog, in remodeling, and in life … life's too short to trash other people!

Can't wait for you all to see the tours we filmed!

x

12. Ishmael says:

Even though it looks nice I really hope that rough sawn wood is not used as a backsplash anywhere near the cooking or food prep areas – it would be impossible to clean.

13. Ashtabulannie says:

Whoa did you really find all those sea shells and CRAB parts on THAT beach? Nice selection! I like the idea of throwing a chicken neck off the dock and pulling in dinner. Hmmm let me get a case of old Bay Seasoning, a big ole steamer pot, some beer from the fridge and steam those bad boys. YUM! On my way down I'll stop at a vegetable stand and buy several ears of corn. Nothing better than fresh crabs, corn on the cob and a pint of Guinness. OK perhaps a few scallops too in a nice garlic butter sauce. Hokiemom
    OOOPS! I forgot about dessert. Suggestions??? What is a typical NC after dinner sweet?

14. Trish says:

Someone from DIY Blog Cabin Blogging post told of this blogging area. They only shared about Andrea and information how the BC weathered it. We had some recent strong winds. We had to help our installers pull their some of their materials in our garage to keep them safe. Nice to know there's a backup generator for this lovely cabin! We have a backup source because you just never know. Dylan, great planning! As an area resident, you know what is needed for the homeowner.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea there'd be pics of the interior. BEAUTIFUL! Our deck color is called fawn. Is this the color of the porch? LOVE it!

15. WandaBox says:

I want to wish who ever try to win the blog cabin good luck and I hope to try to enter for it for my family i'm poor but I like nice things too

16. Janet says:

Nice pictures Laurie. The colors and textures are so beachy. I miss this area so much, a few years back we vacationed by the Core Sound and Cape Lookout Lighthouse. Beautiful place for shelling and would love to have morning tea on the porch. Dinner in the outdoor kitchen area would be wonderful for my family. The firepit is over the moon and the cabin I just adore. Looking forward to seeing more!!! Thanks so much.

• Laurie_March says:

Thanks Janet!

It has brilliant shelling – so untouched! I ended up with a few 'keepsakes' like a tiny crab shell!

Morning tea would be so peaceful and relaxing on this porch.

So happy you popped in to say hi!

• Laurie_March says:

Thanks Janet!

Morning tea would be so peaceful and relaxing on this porch.

So happy you popped in to say hi!

17. Malgorzata says:

Amazing location and the pic from the dock is the best!!! Malgorzata

18. Brenda says:

Blog Cabin looks GREAT!. It looks welcoming, homey, beachy and relaxing. The crew did a fabulous job. If I won the Blog Cabin, the first thing I'd do is spend an hour or two walking the beach and sitting by the water to relax and soak up some sun. Love the beach.

19. Sheri says:

Laurie thank you for the update on that wonderful cabin. You have my imagination all worked up again. I absolutely love that home. It is warm and cozy and colorful, yet serene.The sunrises and sunsets light up the skies as well as my heart. I have never been drawn to any house as I am to that home.Something as simple as designing the primary bed and bathroom on the first floor makes it comfortable for everyone.Thanks go to you for all your time and involvement in that cozy blog cabin. Thanks to everyone involved. Blessings to all the bloggers out there waiting, as I am, for the day we learn who the lucky person/owner is.

20. Sheri says:

Laurie I had to say thanks to you for presenting that beautiful, warm home. During the build and now as we wait to hear who has won that wonderful home. I hope and pray that I win but don't we all. haha So many
    homes built these days are cold, empty spaces. This one looks like it will make someone a very happy home God bless everyone and good luck..

21. Sheri says:

The picture of all those shells on the step at the pier was great. That is something I would enjoy doing collecting things like that with my grand kids..Thank you for all your hard work introducing and following through in the rebirth of this cabin.

• Laurie_March says:

Thank you! I love 'shelling'… my family and I did it in Ocean City Maryland growing up.

Thanks for all the kind words. I hope to get behind the scenes of next year's cabin for you too! :)

22. Sheri says:

I wish I could thank Laurie for all her hard work, but for some reason I have not been granted approval by administration(not sure who that is?) So please thank her for me.Prior to this show I had no idea what a house counselor was. She has opened my eyes.God bless her.

• Laurie_March says:

Sheri –

Thank you so much for your comments!! The blog comments have to be approved – and I'm the admin! Sometimes I get going on projects and don't get a chance to check in and approve everything, so I'm so sorry for the delay.

Rest assured, though, that I'm loving having you here commenting! and… that we're out there – making new fun projects to share with you. :)

23. Erin says:

The blog cabin is my dream home – full with magic and history!!!!! I love everything about this cabin – from the doggie door to the barn door!!!!!! Simply amazing!!!!!!!! Great job HGTV!!!!! This by far has been my favorite !!!!!!

• Laurie_March says:

Erin –

I'm biased, but it's my favorite one too! They outdid themselves with all the charming history and love they put into it.

24. Laurie_March says:

Mary –

It was very windy, but oddly sunny at some points in the storm. We were careful, but it was actually pretty joyful to be outside and feeling the air and electricity of that storm…

25. Laurie_March says:

Anne –

It's a wonderful beach for sea shelling, my Mom's favorite activity at her place in Ocean City Maryland. Her shoes are always full of sand too :)

26. Laurie_March says:

SID –

When we weren't filming I did the exact same thing – walked around and savored the special little things that each designer and crew did to make the home amazing. I hope the winner would do the same!

27. Lettucefields says:

Laurie, Thanks for the update. I am still trying to figure the electrical outlet out.

28. Windsmurf says:

Thanks for the update on the plants, everything was so beautiful, I was hoping they could survive the winds and the weather.

29. Laurie_March says: